When the Giles County Chamber of Commerce turned to Brindley Construction to renovate their offices at 110 N. 2nd Street on The Square in Historic Downtown Pulaski, Tennessee, we were excited to help. We love the old buildings on The Square and we have renovated a few in the past, including The Standard Drug Building and The Wilson Renovation. They are rich in history and we enjoy learning about how they were used in the past.
Originally known as The John C. Brown Law Office Building, the structure has had many incarnations. Most notably the building served as the office of Governor John C. Brown and the partners of his law firm in 1871. Prior to that from 1835 to 1867, the building served as the Planter Bank of Tennessee, and from 1869 to 1871, it housed a grocery and produce store. After Governor Brown and his partners moved the law practice in 1878, the building was occupied by a furniture store, and an undertaking firm until 1887. During the 1900s, the building housed a jewelry store, and optics center, later becoming a bottling works for the Coca Cola Company. Since 1910, the building has served as a National Guard Armory, flooring store, trophy shop, and several other businesses. Today, it is home to The Giles County Chamber of Commerce.
Renovations began in December of 2020 and included demolition of ceilings, exposing original brick walls, removal of old walls, installation of new walls, and refinishing hardwood floors. Brindley crews also replaced plumbing fixtures, updated finishes and installed commercial doors. Jeff Brindley served as Project Manager and Percy Hazelwood served as Superintendent on this eight-month project.